Sep 21, 2011

Crochet Mens Slipper Pattern

I wanted to make my brother some slippers for his birthday but couldn't find a pattern I liked, free or otherwise. So, I came up with my own and thought I would share it with you all.
***Updated 12/24/11***I had to make a 9.5 wide so I found the measurements here for length and here for width. So start by determining what measurements you need and work accordingly.

I/9-hook, worsted weight yarn

Sole:
Working with 2 strands together in the color you want the sole of your slipper.
Ch 7
2 sc in 2nd chain, sc in next 4 chain, 2 sc in last, ch 1, turn (8 sc)
Keep increasing rows by putting 2 sc in first and last sc until you get desired width, (I went to 12 sc. to get 4.1 inches.) Continue adding rows until you get to last 2 inches.
Sc2tog, sc in ea. sc until last 2 sc, sc2tog, ch1 turn, continue until you have sc2tog, 2 sc, sc2tog, tie off.
With 1 strand
sc around the sole, join with ss, ch 1 turn
In back loop only, sc in ea. sc, join, tie off.

Sides:
This is where you will change color if you want the slipper to be a different color than the sole.
Row 1-in back loop only, sc in ea. sc, join, ch 1, turn
Row 2- in both loops, sc in ea. sc, join, ch 1, turn
Find the front center 33 sc and mark with stitch markers.
Row 3- sc in ea. sc till you get to the marked stitches, ss in those, back loop only, sc in the rest, join, ch 1, turn.
Row 4- repeat row 3
Row 5/6- sc 1, sc2tog, sc in ea. sc, ch ,1 turn when you get to ss,
sc in ea. sc till you get to the last 3, sc2tog, sc in last sc, join, ch 1
see picture, DO NOT TURN
sc 1 sc2tog, sc in ea. sc ch 1, turn when you get to ss,
sc in each sc till you get to last 3 sc, sc2tog, sc in last sc, join, tie off.

Top: ***see note below***
Find center 7 ss at toe, working from right to left with the toe of slipper facing you.
~ With toe end facing you, find the 7 slip stitches at the center front of the top edge of the toe end. Beginning on right hand side, join yarn with a a slip stitch in back (inside) loop of the first of the 7 central slip stitches.
Row 1- In back loop only, join with ss at first of 7 center, hdc in next, sc in next 2, hdc in next, ss in next 2, turn,
~ at the first of the seven center join your strand of yarn with a slip stitch then work a half double in the next slip stitch, work a single in the next 2 slip stitches, half double in next then slip stitch in the next 2 slip stitches. Now your first row will have 7 stitches- (ss, hdc, sc, sc, hdc, ss, ss) this row is in back loop only 
Row 2- *in both loops* sc in hdc, sc in ea. sc across, sc in joining ss, skip next back loop only (inside loop) ss on top edge, ss in next 2 ss , turn, ~ this row you are going to skip over the 2 ss you did in row 1 and work a single in the half double and single crochet in the next 4 stitches, skip the next slip stitch (from top edge) and slip stitch in the next 2 slip stitches in back loop only, only the slip stitches are in back loop
Row 3- sc in each sc, sc in joining sc, skip first ss, ss in next 2 ss (blo), turn
~so now you are doing the same thing as row 2 skipping the slip stitches and working singles across, skipping the next slip stitch from the top edge then working slip stitches in the next 2 
Continue repeating rows till you have reached end of ss.
Add 3 rows of sc to make "tongue" join,

ss all the way around opening of slipper, join, tie off, weave in ends.

There have been a lot of questions regarding the top of this slipper, I haven't had a chance to make them and re-write the pattern but this is what one of my reader suggested... I hope it helps.

"I started the way you did with the slip stitch, hdc, 2 sc, hdc and 2 ss in the back loops.
row 2: sc in 2nd ss and in the remaining stitches to the last ss. pull up a loop in both loops of the ss and in the inner loop of the slip stitch of the side row, yo and pull through all loops. (it's a sc2tog). ss in the inner loop of next 2 slip stitches from the side. (8 st)
row 3-4: repeat row 2. (9 st, 10 st)
row 5: skip first 2 sl, sc in 1st sc and in remaining st to last sc. sc2tog (2 lps of sc and inner lp of ss from the side row), ss in inner loops of next 2 ss from side row. (10 st, 8 sc and 2 ss)
repeat row 5 until you finish all the slip stitches on the side."

*Please note this is a new pattern and has not been tested and may contain typos. If you find any typos or have any questions please feel free to email me cjcosper@live.com.



Photobucket

15 comments:

AttemptingAloha said...

Hi Cody Jo! I found this link on Pinterest and am including a link to your blog in my "Handmade Gifts for Men" post. :)

Aloha and happy holidays,

Charlie

Rochelle @Home Sweet Homebodies said...

These look great! I am definitely adding this to my to-do list, and I also linked to your tutorial on my DIY Guy Gifts roundup! (http://www.homesweethomebodies.net/2011/11/diy-guy-gifts-roundup-of-my-favorites.html)
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you worked hard on those...but on behalf of all men please don't make these for your husbands. They would steal our dignity.

-K

Emilee said...

Love these! Found them at attempting aloha and going to make them for Hubby for Christmas! Thanks for sharing the pattern! Ps newest follower and looking forward to seeing more!

abby604 said...

i am really confused on part of the pattern, i am in the middle of making them for my husband and i dont undertand any of the directions for the top of them

Anonymous said...

It would be great if you could demonstrate crocheting these slippers on YouTube!

Teresa G said...

Thanks for posting this! I have looked everywhere for men's slippers that I can make! I'm so going home and starting on this tonight! Thanks again!

linda said...

Hi Cody, or anyone who can help me. I want to make this pattern for a 4 year old boy. I have no idea how to change it. I would appreciate it tremendously if anyone can help. I just started crocheting this summer and can't stop!!!! Thank you!!!!

katherine said...

Is the top section (2nd colour) worked with double strand or single?

James Balogh said...

Wow...! This is really an incredible and cozy pair of bedroom slippers for men. The design and color combination is fabulous. Thanks for the pattern and detailed tutorial. I appreciate all your efforts, I hope I can make the same as much as you did.

Artisna said...

Your blog about crochet slipper patterns was indeed very informative. I recently came across Artisna.com and they have some of the most incredible handmade stuff as well.

Unknown said...

Wonderful designs for men's slippers thanks for sharing

Julene Watson said...

Thank you, Cody! This looks PERFECT!
My husband HATES slippers! But he's having trouble with edema, and socks are getting uncomfortable. This design should fill in the gap perfectly.

Aisha said...

Thanks for the post! Buy online men's formal shoes that go well with your outfit for the day.

erectile dysfunction remedies said...

A fascinating discussion is worth comment. I do think that you ought to write more about this issue, it might not be a taboo subject but typically people don't speak about such subjects. To the next! All the best!!